Saturday, September 27, 2008

I forgot something

Every evening Travis picks up some high school kids from a town ten minutes away to give them a ride home. They attend school in the evening, and it's a bit dangerous walking home in the dark, so Trav gives them a ride. Yesterday though because he knew that it would only be one girl he didn't want to go by himself. If it looks bad in Canada to have one guy and one girl alone in a car, it looks 10 times worse here. So just to prevent rumors and everything Trav wanted me to go with him. The only problem was that Zippy was already sleeping and I wanted her to sleep in her crib already. So I offered that I would just go alone. The problem being that my drivers license ran out about a month ago and I have not bothered to renew it yet. I decided to go anyway thinking that was better than Trav being alone in the car with a girl.

Trav gave me the documents for the car and off I went. About half way there I see a nice police truck with flashing lights. It was a police check stop, there were policemen standing all over the road. Uh oh what do I do now? I stopped... bad idea, I turned around... another bad idea. I turned around slowly and started driving at a normal pace so they wouldn't think I was guilty of anything although I think it was too late for that. This car passed me and the driver was making some crazy motions with his hands. I thought I had made him mad for turning around in front of him... I thought I had left plenty of room??? So I let the car pass and then I see it. The police had seen me turn around and came after me, (the other driver was telling me to hurry up to get away from the police) I was just being too suspicious. Now I see this policeman get out of the back of the truck carrying his machine gun, while pictures of a paraguayan jail cell and Zippy missing her mommy dance through my head. Oh great what do I do now???

The officer approached my vehicle and asked my why I turned around. And this is where I have to confess... I told a lie. I said ummm.... I forgot something. Then he asked me if I have my personal document. I said yes and go it out for him. He said "you can go lady", because my lie was so obvoius he didn't believe it. But I lied again and said no I need to go home and look for something , I forgot something. so he let me go. I drove almost all the way home, turned around and went back. Then I had to pass them again twice there and back, but now they recognized our little red car and didn't bother me.

To top it all off is that Travis tells me that they were national police and not road police, they weren't even allowed to ask for my drivers license.

1 comment:

  1. hahahahahahahaha. i can imagine. I'm sure the dark made it seem more suspicious.

    ReplyDelete