A few weeks ago I was stopped while driving on the highway because I did not have my lights on. By law I have to have my lights on even during the day, It's the law, and I always forget.
I have always thought I would be pretty nervous about getting stopped, but I was pretty calm. (had enough other things on my mind that a simple ticket would not be a very big deal) The police man asked for my documents and then told me I did not have my light on, the conversation went something like this...
Policeman: you didn't have your lights on
Me: I realized that when you pulled me over, sorry I will turn them on right now to not forget.
Policeman: you do realize I need to give you a ticket for this?
Me: Yes I made a mistake and I deserve a ticket
Policeman: would you like to fix this here?
Me: No I deserve a ticket just give me my ticket
Policeman: (gets out his ticket book and pen, ready to write) are you sure you don't want to fix this here?
Me: If you will let me go I will say thanks for forgiving me, but if you want to give me my ticket that is fine, I deserve it.
Policeman: You are free to go (handing back my documents)
Me: Thanks for forgiving me!
Today I was stopped again, in exactly the same spot, for exactly the same thing, but it was a different policeman.
This time the conversation went like this
Policeman: may I see your documents please?
Me: yes here they are
Policeman: You didn't have your lights on and that is an infraction that I will have to fine you for
Me: Yes, I am sorry
Policeman: I can give you 2 options, we can fix this here, or I can write out your ticket.
Me: I made a mistake and I deserve a ticket, you can give me a ticket that is fine
Policeman: (hands back my documents and says) go ahead.
I am tempted to go back tomorrow with my lights off and see if I can get away with it again. How many times can I wiggle my way out of a ticket? it may be an expensive experiment in the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment