Yup, I fixed the car. A little while ago, while we were making the concrete pad in front of our house, I went with the man who was putting it in to get some white sand (here they called it sand that's been washed) to mix with the concrete. If you use the red sand that is everywhere the cement is a reddish color, go figure. You either buy it from a construction material supply store, or you go the cheaper route . . . to the Paraguay river (which is only a 5 minute drive) and get it for free.
We decided on the free route and on the way the car overheated. The car has a manual switch to turn on the cooling fan if it doesn't go on automatically so I flipped the switch and kept on going. It overheated again, the fan just wouldn't turn on. Meanwhile a hose had burst so all the water drained from the radiator.
We fixed the hose, filled it with water, and wired the cooling fan directly to the battery with some wires for my speakers which don't work anyways.
Got to the auto electric guy and replaced the thermostat so the cooling fan would start automatically again. Also fixed the manual switch, just a loose connection.
So the car overheated again, the hose was leaking water, better yet, steam was whistling out of a crack in the hose. So we filled up the water and got home.
I don't actually know of a mechanic close by so I attacked the hose myself. I cut it and clamped it back in place with a hose clamp. That was two nights ago. Yesterday we had to go to the center of Asunción (about 1 hour drive), thought about taking the bus and took the car anyways. The hose hasn't busted yet, looks good so far. . . Did I actually fix a car??? Naw, just a fluke, it will probably break down on the 3 hour drive to Caaguazú on Saturday.
muchas felicidades!
ReplyDelete